The 21-year study of senior citizens, 75 and older, was led by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, funded by the National Institute on Aging, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
% IS THE REDUCED RATE OF DEMENTIA:
0% = Bicycling, swimming or playing golf
35% = Reading
47% = Doing crossword puzzles at least four days a week
76% = Dancing frequently
Quoting Dr. Joseph Coyle, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who wrote an accompanying commentary: The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities, are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use.”
– Reduces stress and depression.
– Increases energy and seratonin.
– Improves flexibility, strength, balance and endurance.
– Strengthens bones and boosts cardiovascular health.
– Increases mental capacity by exercising our cognitive processes.
– Dynamic and rapid-fire decision making, creates new neural paths.